Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Extinctathon: new enemies, code maintenance


Not much to say, but I have added a new enemy (bees!) to the game. It's pretty easy to add them, really the only hard part is deciding what they look like and how they behave.

My project for the day is to replace all my C++ and Java-esque accessor methods with the more idiomatically correct C# style get/set methods.

Once again, boring stuff, but stuff that needs to be done. Another thing that needs to be done, seriously, is using sprite sheets instead of using a separate texture for every single frame of every sprite's animation. Switching textures, apparently, is incredibly GPU intensive, so it's better to put groups of sprites into single textures and then drawing portions of the larger textures onto the screen.

UPDATE:
I've finished updating the code using the get/set property style. I moved stuff around to match with the style I've seen in most of Microsoft's projects. I even took a look at the menu and game screen system examples on the XNA site, but it's too much for me to deal with right now.

Source:
Extinctathon (entire project, zipped)

No comments: