Sunday, July 27, 2008

Checkpoints, boxes, and bug fixes

I haven't had any time to work on Extinctathon during the week, but I've had a good two hours to work on it this morning. Things I've taken care of today:

  • Began implementing a basic checkpoint system. When the player crosses the checkpoint, he gets 1000 points and will respawn at the checkpoint if he later dies. This can easily be extended to level endpoints as well, which are a part of the next big goal which is transitioning from level to level.
  • Began work on boxes that pop out powerups. Right now the question mark boxes are popping out fireball powerups, and there's a few issues regarding the bounding boxes that need to be taken care of. I need to make it so that different types of items can come out of the question mark boxes and I need to be able to set this in both the design stage and in game (depending on the circumstances).
  • Fixed one of the audio bugs that was causing crashes when exiting and restarting a level. I wasn't disposing of the background music cue, so in certain circumstances this would cause a memory management issue which would crash the program.
  • And, finally, a couple of smaller bug fixes. Scores no longer pop up over enemies who suicided (i.e. fell off the screen) and the snakeocat no longer rapidly flips back and forth when the player is directly above him.
What's next:
  • I need to work some more on the way that blocks can pop out powerups, how this behaves, and how it is handled.
  • I need to fix an issue with the bounding boxes of the sprites. When the sprites are reformed (this happens to all projectiles), there is an issue that is causing the old bounding box to be retained. This causes a couple of collision problems which need to be fixed.
  • I need to make at least four solid levels. Once I have that, I think, I'll have a good five minutes of gameplay that I can use over and over to work on fixing bugs and polishing the game.
I don't have any vids at the moment, but I might post some later tonight after I've had more time to work.

No comments: